A communications platform is needed to make sugar reduction and sugar replacement alternatives more transparent and traceable for the end-consumer. We are now developing a cloud-based platform for sugar reduction. The platform will be open for the public to learn more about different alternatives as well as for R&D people at food producers to use as a tool for new product development with less sugar. The project is funded by EU Horizon 2020 and the Swedish research agency Vinnova.
Horizon 2020 is the biggest EU research and innovation programme, aimed at securing Europe’s global competitiveness. The programme is the world’s greatest investment in research and innovation. In November 2017, Bayn Europe submitted a proposal to Horizon 2020 on the topic of “Accelerating market introduction of ICT (Information Communication Technology) solutions for Health, Well-being and Ageing Well.” After evaluation by an international panel of independent experts, the proposal was scored as a high-quality project proposal. The SugarReduced digital platform passed the Horizon 2020 criteria of excellence, impact, and quality and efficient implementation.
As part of this project, we are conducting a feasibility study and survey with different stake holders within the food- and beverage value chain. If you are interested in taking part, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Questions to food ingredient producers
- How do your ingredients contribute to sugar reduction?
- What is the main challenge associated with using your ingredient as a sugar replacer (taste, texture, etc)?
- When selling your ingredient, do you also provide formulations and solutions for sugar reduction?
- Sugar replacer solutions often contain several ingredient alternatives. How do you go about sourcing the ingredients to use in your solution?
- What is your strategy for communicating with the market?
- What is your opinion of the consumer perception of your ingredient? Can it be labelled as a clean label or organic?
- The Sugar Reduced Cloud Platform is aimed at becoming an independent-platform powered by blockchain to promote and communicate sugar reduction alternatives to the market and end-consumer. Would you consider putting your ingredient data on the platform?
Questions to food producers
- Do you have a policy for sugar reduction commitment? What is your strategy for your sugar reduction commitment?
- Do you see a risk associated with reducing sugar in your current products on the market (for instance revenue, consumer perception, etc.)?
- Do you find sugar reduction to be difficult with your current product line? What is the most difficult aspect of reducing sugar in your products?
- What do you think about using a cloud-based platform system for sugar reduction, both as a means of communication with the market as well as a tool for sugar reduction in new product development?
- Would you consider using the system to shorten your new product development?
Questions to retailers
- What is your view on a sugar tax?
- In store, do you have a specific shelf for products containing less sugar?
- How do you market products with reduced sugar? Does it differ from your marketing of ‘ordinary’ products?
- The Sugar Reduced Cloud Platform will consist of e-data and the latest updates about sugar reduction. Would you consider using it along with blockchain technology to make the content in sugar reduced products more transparent and traceable for the end-consumer?
Questions to Consumers and Sustainability Stakeholders
- What does sugar and sugar reduction mean to you?
- Over-consumption of sugar is a social problem, contributing to a rise in lifestyle diseases around the globe. What kind of sustainability strategy do you believe can be used to successfully reduce the amount of sugar consumed in society today?
- The Sugar Reduced Cloud Platform aims to be a part of the circular economy, “from evidence to action” and from “science to lifestyle” by contributing to a more sustainable, transparent and traceable value chain within the field of sugar reduction. What is your view of this cloud platform?
- Would you consider contributing to the platform, for instance through a sponsorship?
Quotes about the project
Professor Yan Li
Food science and engineering
“Sugar reduction is the use of low-calorie sweeteners and other functional ingredients to partly or totally replace the added sugar in processed food. It has a broad application potential throughout the food industry. ‘Sugar reduction’ is not simply removing and adding ingredients, but rather, it is an interdisciplinary and intersectional science that involves food science and engineering, biology, chemistry, nutrition, public health and most of all compliance with national food laws.
The harmful effects of sugar consumption have often been subordinate to traditions and habits. However, ‘Sugar reduction’ interrupts the traditional food commerce sector. These factors combined create a high hurdle on the road to sugar reduction on a broader scale. The substantial effect of this is that sugar reduction cannot be fully applied in the market.”
Founder of Bayn Europe and Sugar Reduced
“The introduction of a sugar tax in Europe and other countries confirms the demand for sugar reduction. But we need to face the fact that sugar reduction also causes a disruption in the food chain.
The sugar reduction challenge is science-based, meeting consumers’ satisfaction of appetite and sweetness, with lower calories.
A traceable and transparent data system will facilitate sugar reduction to sustain a healthy lifestyle. We need to offer experience and education to communicate with the end-consumer to gain market trust. This is our intent with the sugar reduced cloud platform initiative.”
Interview with Bayn in Foodnavigator
Lucy Dahlgren at Bayn Europe AB was recently interviewed by industry magazine Food Navigator on the need of a cloud-based sugar reformulation tool to fix the ‘broken’ food chain.
”It will offer all data needed for sugar reduction, from ingredient to the finished product. It is a strong linkage to connect all value propositions through the entire food value chain. This platform will be opened for the R&D people at food producers, so that they can use the right data to stimulate their recipe, to reduce their development time, costs and uncertainty”, said Dahlgren in the interview.
Read full article: Bayn CEO: Cloud-based sugar reformulation tool can fix ‘broken’ food chain
The food value chain – today and tomorrow
Current status of the food industry
The added sugar is one of the main blockers for processed foods, removing the added sugar will disrupt the entire value chain system.
Traditional food chain: point to point, inefficient, waste of resources, not-transparent.
Sugar reduced cloud platform
Community cloud computing, combination of low-calorie sweetener and food ingredients to replace high-calorie sugar and to create a circular economy.
A strategic cloud platform connecting R&D, e-commerce and blockchain is a scientific system of circulating value chains, to realise a healthier lifestyle through chain up the entire chain from field to fork.
Sugar reduced cloud platform – explained
One-stop shop for R&D, purchaser and consumers.